Liverpool FC 3-3 Leicester City Match Report

Image Source: MFT

The Reds were back to winning ways in their midweek clash with Leicester City in the quarter-final round of the Carabao Cup. With goals from Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, Diogo Jota and Takumi Minamino from Liverpool FC and two courtesy of Leicester City’s Jamie Vardy and one from James Maddison. Neither side were the clear-cut victor at full-time. With the scoreline a 3-3 stalemate, an already tense affair was ramped up as the two sides forced a penalty shootout. The Reds emerged victorious after being 1-3 down at halftime. So here is our Liverpool FC 3-3 Leicester City match Report. 

As expected, Jurgen Klopp took this opportunity to rest a number of his first-team players in an effort to ease through the congested Winter fixture schedule. With the likes of Kelleher, Koumetio, Morton and EFL regular Minamino entering the fray, offering some well-earned rest for other players. 

Image source: LFC Globe

Liverpool FC 3-3 Leicester City

Carabao Cup, Quarter Final, Wednesday22nd December

Venue: Anfield

Goals: Vardy (9′, 13′), Oxlade-Chamberlain (19′), Maddison (33′), Jota (68′), Minamino (90’+5)

First Half

Leicester City wasted no time in getting the scoring underway, with Vardy taking only nine minutes to get his name on the scoresheet. Coming off the end of a well-taken diagonal pass from Maddison, Vardy sent the ball across the goalkeeper and made it 0-1. 

Just minutes later, Vardy doubled the lead, slotting the ball in from close-range after receiving the ball from Daka. Liverpool FC’s inexperienced defence looked suspect as Leicester made it 0-2. Vardy was having a party, for now.

Liverpool FC halved the deficit as Tsimikas found himself with tonnes of space, crossing the ball nicely to Firmino, who held the ball up well to set up Oxlade-Chamberlain for Liverpool’s first goal on minute 21′. 

On minute 33′, Maddison restored Leicester’s two-goal lead with a rocket, capitalising on some deflections that gave him the necessary space. 

The first half ended 1-3 with Liverpool FC lucky not to concede a fourth and Vardy to complete a hattrick as a result of Gomez’ letting Vardy in one-on-one with Kelleher. Fortunately, the young goalkeeper only just kept it out.

Image source: This is Anfield

Second Half

Liverpool FC in absurd fashion saw the back of Leicester City’s net, courtesy of Jota continuing his impressive goalscoring form. The scoreline stood at 2-3 after a mediocre passing display with nearly every pass intercepted by a Leicester player. A lucky rebound meant Jota could receive the ball from Minamino to slot home. 

What followed was a crazy series of fouls and disputes between the players. Konate was lucky to not get booked for a hefty challenge on Albrighton and Jota, with a raised elbow making contact with Thomas’ face. Surprisingly, the play continued after both incidents. 

Deep into injury time, Liverpool FC got their lifeline from Mr EFL himself, Takumi Minamino. The Japan international shot the ball across Kasper Schmeichel to take the game to penalties. This man was made for the League Cup it seems.

Thanks to a Kelleher save and Jota scoring the final, Liverpool FC walked away the winners. Check out the full match highlights and the penalty shootout here. 

Final Words

Jurgen Klopp is renowned for resting his first-team during cup competitions, prioritising the Premier League and Champions League instead. His triple substitution at halftime shows he has potentially revised his stance on the EFL this year as his Reds are now through to the semi-final. It will be interesting to see how he sets his team up in the semi-final when they face Arsenal over two legs.

And that is a wrap! This was our official Liverpool FC 3-3 Leicester City match report. Follow all of our football and Liverpool FC coverage by following this link.